Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tamari Chili Spiced Pumpkin Seeds

When I went back to the states for Christmas, I sent my hubby, S to the grocery store for a gift card to round out our mostly homemade gifts.  While there, S got a bit overwhelmed by the selection of wonderful goodies that we cannot get here in sunny Puerto Rico.  Just one of the tradeoffs for the island lifestyle.  I was already familiar with that feeling as I had been home a few months prior to that trip and had experienced the same crippling elation at the sight of such a varied selection of fresh produce. 

S came home with a number of tasty treats that day, most of which were some sort of produce.  However, he also got a nice big bag of spicy tamari roasted pumpkin seeds from the bulk foods section.  We had surely eaten this delightful snack before, but it had never been a staple food for us.  When you move to an island, your eating habits change a bit (or a lot) based on what is actually available.  At the time, we lamented the fact that we had discovered yet another snack that we could only have when we visited the states. 

Luckily for us, during our trip, we were not able to finish eating all of the pumpkin seeds so we brought them home with us.  I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but S and I finished off the snack at some point and we were very sad.  Then I started thinking, I can get raw pumpkin seeds, soy sauce, and cayenne pepper in Puerto Rico.  In fact, I already had everything but the seeds in my own house.  Why couldn’t I make my own?

That, my friends, is the day that chili spiced tamari pumpkin seeds were born.  Or made, as the case may be.  Yes, I realize that tamari and soy sauce are not the same thing, and technically I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, but “chili spiced liquid aminos pumpkin seeds” or “chili spiced soy sauce pumpkin seeds” just doesn’t have the same ring to it.  And this is my recipe, so I call it what I want.  J 

This recipe makes mildly flavored pumpkin seeds.  As you get to know me better, you will learn that I have a salt problem.  Well, I don’t think it’s really a problem, although S likes to tell me otherwise on a semi daily basis.  I also LOVE spicy food; the hotter the better.  As a result, I actually use much more cayenne and soy sauce than what is listed.  My recommendation is to taste as you go, using the recipe as a starting point.      
So, without further ado, I bring you the recipe for this life-changing, addictive treat.  ¡buen provecho!

 Tamari chili spiced pumpkin seeds

Ingredients:
2 cups raw hulled pumpkin seeds
½ tablespoon coconut oil
2-3   tablespoons liquid aminos, soy sauce, or tamari (or to taste)
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Directions:
     1.  Heat the coconut oil in large pan over medium heat. 
     2.  Add the pumpkin seeds and sauté for 3-5 minutes until they begin to turn golden brown and pop. 
     3.  Add soy sauce and cayenne and sauté for another minute until dry. 
     4.  Taste for seasoning and add more if desired.
     5.  Finish sautéing until dry and golden.  

Donna...aka mindful

No comments:

Post a Comment