Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Soapwalla Deodorant Cream Product Review


I discovered Soapwalla Kitchen a little over 3 years ago. Soapwalla is a Brooklyn based company that concocts vegan and organic skincare products; including aluminum free deodorant, pregnant belly oil, and face serum. Rachel Winard is the magnificent chef behind all the sensational products and won me over with their deodorant cream.

For a little backstory. I am a one of those "sweaty gals." I sweat A LOT, and to top it off I live in the Caribbean where it is always in the 80's or above. I'm someone who has to watch which color shirts I wear to avoid the dreaded sweaty pit and back marks. I also have to always remember deodorant. I know there are those who can say (in a high-pitched ditsy voice) "Oops, I forgot deodorant today...oh well!"and no one would ever smell the difference. I am not one of those lucky ladies. I repeat, I am not one of those lucky ladies. If I ever even thought about forgetting deodorant I would stink to high heaven. But I am also a naturalista mama, and refused to wear traditional deodorant while pregnant and am trying not to while breastfeeding as well. My goal for many years has been to never return to traditional deodorant, but I refuse to go around stinky and offensive. (I don't judge those who choose otherwise. It's just not my style...I've tried it.)

So, for many years I looked for a natural deodorant that kept me smelling fresh (not dry). I've tried all the major brands you find at the grocery or drug store. All have left me smelling like a deli sandwich, as my mom would say, after just a few hours. While reading an article in a magazine a few years ago I came across a review of Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream. The author explained that she was just like me; an easy sweat-er, wanting a natural deodorant option, and had tried all of the major store brands with no luck. She then announced with much joy and excitement that she found the answer with Rachel Winard's, Soapwalla Deodorant Cream from the Soapwalla Kitchen. I was a little hesitant at first when she detailed the application process; it had to be applied with your finger and rubbed in. I had never heard of something like this and was not really familiar with getting so up close with my armpit. But wanting to be a naturalista adventure seeker, I tried it. I found their Etsy store, made my purchase, and gave it a go. I have to be honest at first the smell was a bit overwhelming to me. I hadn't dove into the world of essential oils yet. I was only familiar with artificial "powder"and "cucumber & melon" scents commonly found in traditional deodorants. But now having used the deodorant (and essential oils) for many years I feel that the scent is very pleasant and natural. Don't worry, if you loathe the patouli (spelling?) hippy smell this deodorant is not like that. The major notes I smell are lavender and peppermint. Mmmmm, right!

Soapwalla lists all their products' ingredients on their website and packaging, which I love. You can read them ALL. No funky abbreviations, terms, or numbers listed. For the deodorant, the first couple of ingredients include Certified Organic Jojoba oil, Certified Organic Rosehip seed oil, and (Certified Organic and Food Grade) Vegan Kosher glycerin. (So no petroleum products here.) It does not contain aluminum zirconium; therefore it is not an antiperspirant. (Take a look at their site and understand why.)

The cost of one 2 oz. container is $14, so much more than your average deodorant, but it lasts me about a 8 months with daily use. The package says to apply to your entire armpit, but I only apply it to about a 2" wide circle in the center of my underarm and it works great. Your typical drug store deodorant probably runs around $2-$5 depending on the brand and lasts 2 months max, so this to me seems like a way better deal. Not to mention it is organic and vegan.  I have yet to try their other products, but believe when I do I won't be disappointed.


Have you had many of my same experiences with sweating and deodorants? Tell me your solution. Also, if you decide to try Soapwalla's Deodorant Cream let me know how it worked for you.

-Anjelica

No comments:

Post a Comment