Monday, March 3, 2014

"Alternative Lifestyle"

I’m a little late to this. When the article about David Wise and his “alternative lifestyle” came out, it was hard to miss. All kinds of folks bashed it, saying the author, Skyler Wilder, should have never used those two words about an Olympian who also happens to be a husband, a father, and a Christian. I have to admit, I felt the same zing of disapproval at first, but then (who’d have thought!?) I went to the actual article that was being referenced. And, it wasn’t half bad. (Find it here, by the way: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/david-wises-alternative-lifestyle-leads-olympic-gold?ctx=olympic-journey) It’s not the most amazing writing, and they called the 23-year-old man a “kid” more than I would have liked, but, otherwise, I wasn’t offended.

Please don’t hate me for what I’m going to say, but Christianity is an alternative lifestyle, and, well, it kind of should be. In His Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5, Jesus says believers should be the salt of the earth. We should be the city on the hill, the light of the world. We should not blend in, and our lifestyles should not fit. David Wise is probably very different from his peers in all of the ways the article pointed out. Poor Wilder’s syntax was just blown way out of proportion.

HOWEVER, there is an “alternative lifestyle” that frustrates all of the blood in my veins. “Healthy Food.” “Whole Foods.” “Clean Living” Etc.  Why is it so different and so difficult in many parts of our country to find real food? Believers, I must implore you to remember that faith and health do go together. Corinthians 6 tells us that our bodies are not our own. They are temples of a Living God, and as such we are challenged to take care of them.

I have struggled a lot since returning to the south with the disregard for ingredient appreciation. Why do we eat food that has things in it that we know are not…oh, I don’t know…FOOD?! Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional Chick fil A sandwich and, just tonight, I indulged in chips and queso from a local Mexican restaurant. However, processed foods rarely make their ways into my home and into my cooking, and I can say with confidence that my 9-month-old baby boy has only ever eaten true foods that God made.

I’m not upset by Wilder calling David Wise’s life “alternative.” Let’s not rant on that. I am upset that our country has ruined food so much that I don’t feel comfortable feeding my baby the food unless I cooked it myself. If we’re going to rant, let’s get riled up about that. I’m also disappointed by Christians pretending that health and faith are completely separate things.


Believers, let’s remember that these bodies are not our own. Let’s intentionally choose to spend our money supporting places that provide real food. Let’s not be upset when marriage and Christianity are involved in an article with “alternative lifestyle” in the title, but let’s delete the phrase from referencing people who live trying to keep fake chemicals out of their bodies. 

Embrace change; sometimes it’s good for you. 

-Hollie


No comments:

Post a Comment