Sunday, March 30, 2014

Newborn to 3 months Mama & Baby Favorites

So...I always forget to add pics to my posts. The one thing my husband and sister told me a good blog post always had was pictures, and of course I've forgotten them every time. Well, this time you are in for a treat. This post will contain multiple pictures.
Day 1 with Baby E. 

I have to say that I consider myself a pretty low maintenance mama. I do love trendy and modern baby gear, but I refuse to spend money on junk or something that's going to sit around and collect dust. Everything I buy must have a few trademark qualities. Here they are.

1. Great quality. I've heard more than one story from second and third time mom's who've said they wished they had  bought higher end, better quality things with baby #1. Nothing is worse than jacking around with some piece of junk while trying to take care of a fussy, hungry, or tired little one. You want whatever you bought to be reliable. You don't want to eventually have to pin or tuck or tape it to get it to hold up and work for you....Long story short, quality matters.

2. Makes my life easier. This really is just as important as rule number 1. If a gadget or gear makes your life more stressful you are less likely to use it. This in turn would be a waste of your money. One of the best things you can do for yourself during those first few months as a new mom is make your life as simple as possible.

3. Cute. Ah duh!! Who wants to walk around looking like a frump-a-dump? I don't! And I'm sure most of you moms and moms-to-be don't either. (And neither does your baby) Not every purchase will be down right runway ready, but come on, if it comes in a cuter color or fabric pay the extra $50, you'll be happy to sport your new purchase and there for get the most use out of it. I know too well that if you purchase something that's not very cute, you are likely to purchase something you like better in the future. (This, would be a money waster) During those first few months post-partum where things can get crazy and you can feel a little not like yourself, it's nice to feel a bit like Christmas when you get the opportunity to use a beautiful new swaddle or nursing bra.

4. Reasonably priced. This does not by any means imply cheap or low priced. Something that is cheap in price is usually equally cheap in quality; especially when referring to baby products. This would violate rule number one.  Baby strollers are a good example of, "You get what you pay for". Be leery of strollers with hard plastic wheels, plastic frames and cheap fabric. A good stroller is worth its weight in gold...Well, maybe not in gold. But it's worth the money. And if you plan on using it for more than one child, it will more than pay for itself (in convenience, ease of use, stylishness, and longevity).

So without any further adieu, here is my list of new mama essentials.

My top 5 newborn to 3-month Mama & Baby faves:

These jewel-toned swaddles are the ones I used for Baby E.
1. Aden & Anais swaddle blankets. I'm sure you've heard of them before. They are apart of almost all mom's new baby favorites; and that's because they are just great. They are the perfect size (47"x47"), fabric weight, and come in SO many different colors and designs you are guaranteed to find ones that fit your style.


Organic ingredients
2. Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter. It is organic and lanolin-free, for those with a wool allergy. I used this nipple butter religiously for atleast the first 4 months of Baby E's life. I believe in addition to proper latch and positioning, this is why I never experienced cracked or bleeding nipples.







3. Itzbeen Baby timer. This is great for reminding a sleepy mama and papa of the last time they changed baby's diaper, the last time they ate, and how long they have or have not been sleeping. It also has a night light that I still use today and E is over a year old. It's great for peeking at a sleeping wee-one at night, looking for that dreaded paci at 2 am, or using as low light as you change baby's diaper in the middle of the night. It comes in three cute colors.



4. Post Delivery Belly Binder. Variations of these have been used for centuries, literally. They claim to help support a post partum uterus, help slim your waist, and aid in your uterus returning to its normal size. I just loved the supportive feeling I felt while wearing it. This is one purchase where it wasn't very expensive and I may have "gotten what I paid for". It's a little bulky and I would probably look into purchasing a binder next time that I could wear under my clothes.


5. Netflix. Now, you might think, "That's strange. I thought once you have a baby you don't have time for t.v." That's not exactly true. During the first few days and weeks after delivery, establishing a good milk supply is very important. The best way to do this is to give your baby unlimited time at the breast. This "unlimited" time does not mean "eternal" time, where you never are separate from your baby, but it does mean that you must have some patience and allow baby to do its job, which is to request milk and allow your body to do its job, and make milk. I found the best way to pass the time and enjoy those long feedings was to pop open my laptop and watch Netflix. It gave me some "me time" and allowed baby to suckle as long as she liked. This in turn gave me a GREAT milk supply. I really do recommend moms to give this trick a try. At least first time moms, because this probably would be a big-fat-fail with a toddler running around. It's also a great time for dad to come along and bond with baby while nursing. He can sit and rub new baby toes, hands, and head, which can help with a sleepy newborn. He is also right there for burping when baby is done. 

Now, I would love to hear your new baby favorites. 

-Anjelica 
Mama & Baby E throwback pic






No comments:

Post a Comment