Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Spaghetti Squash Tacos

I think I can speak for Anjelica, Donna, and myself when I say our time in Puerto Rico has given us a newfound appreciation for all things in the squash family. For me, it was specifically the heavy ones: butternut squash and spaghetti squash. Whew, that spaghetti squash. One of those little boogers could cost you $15 if you weren’t paying attention! We, literally, NEVER ate it while on the island because we couldn't afford it. So, the other day when I could get my hands on a local spaghetti squash there was excitement in my soul. It sat in the fridge for a while though because it’d been so long since I worked with one I was torn about what I should do. It lasted until things were running low in the kitchen…you know how that goes. After skimming online for recipe ideas that mostly used cheese (which we were out of) or pasta sauce (we’d had Italian the night before), I went for tacos! Now, we do typically like cheese on our tacos, so I decided a sauce would hit the spot. One by our very own Anjelica, to be exact! 

Here’s what you need:
-1 medium spaghetti squash
-olive oil
-one onion, diced
-one poblano pepper, diced
-minced garlic, to taste
-two tomatoes, diced
-black beans (I make mine, so about 1 ½ cups)
-cumin
-paprika
-chilli powder
-oregano
-salt, to taste
-pepper, to taste
-8 corn tortillas

-Taco Season

Directions:
-Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds and middle with a spoon, and roast it (cut sides up) for 45 minutes at 350. When it’s finished, use a fork to scrape the “spaghetti” out of it.
-Heat some oil in a pan, and sauté the onion and pepper until they’re nice and soft and yummy.
-Toss in the garlic and tomatoes, and sauté a little longer.
-Add the black beans and seasonings and cook until heated.
-Add the spaghetti squash, and mix well


-Heat a dry pan (we prefer our cast iron), and toss the corn tortilla on it just until heated. Be sure to flip.


-Take Anjelica’s ranch dressing, and add your favorite taco seasoning (we use Penzy’s) until you’re pleased with the flavor. I added about 2 teaspoons.


 I often am too hungry to remember to snap photos, but make your tacos and ENJOY!!

-Hollie

No comments:

Post a Comment