Saturday, May 3, 2014

Simple Homemade Curry

Curry ingredients
Hey everyone!  I'm blogging from St. Louis today!  So far it's been a great trip full of family and friends.  I've pretty much been running around since I got here.  There was a little snafu with my flight from San Juan being an hour late which caused me to miss the last flight to St. Louis that I was supposed to be on.  But I met another family from Missouri and we all stayed in the hotel in Chicago in the freezing temperatures wearing tropical clothing--without luggage--and had a blast.  We had dinner/drinks and breakfast together and we all made it back in one piece.  They are a wonderful family and I am so glad I had them with me for that crazy ride.

Busch Stadium before the game!
Everything else has been super busy, but good.  The Cardinals game with girlfriends was awesome, albeit freezing! My little brother's confirmation was nice too.  Of course, I have been eating out a lot which tends to be what happens when I come back to visit.  It's ok though because it is really hard for me to convince myself to cook when it is just me anyway.  Although I did go to Whole Foods the first day I was back and I definitely went a little crazy in the produce department.  So with the few shelf stable ingredients I had at my house, I have managed to put together a bit of a meal plan for this trip.

Diced potatoes
Chopped veggies
I had brown rice at home so I decided to make my simple vegetable curry out of the random assortment of veggies that I bought.  You can really use any vegetables, but I will say that I always use potatoes, onion, and garlic.  Usually I use broccoli, but this time I had brussels sprouts and mushrooms.  The important thing is that you want to have probably around 3 cups total of some sort of veggie other than the potatoes, onion and garlic.  You could also add garbanzo beans or lentils for added protein.  The only reason I don't usually is because it is such a hearty dish to begin with.  I'd never be able to finish it.  I should also note that you can probably use homemade coconut milk, but for this recipe I use canned because it is much thicker.  As you know, I make just about everything myself from fresh ingredients, so this is strange for me, but I make the exception here because I figure I use canned and processed food so seldom. If you try it with homemade coconut milk, let me know how it turns out.  So, without further adieu, here's my simple, real ingredient curry recipe.                  
Sauteing the ginger and turmeric
Sauce cooking
Veggies added
Finished product

Ingredients

1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp. fresh turmeric, minced
1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
1 can coconut milk
Fish sauce (sub soy sauce) to taste
1 tbsp. sugar, or to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 small red potatoes, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
2 heads broccoli
or 
8 medium mushrooms, sliced
and
2 c. Brussels sprouts, ends removed and quartered
or 
3 cups total of desired vegetables, chopped

Directions:

Boil potatoes for about ten minutes until done.  This time may be different depending on how large or small you dice them.  Heat the coconut oil over medium heat and saute the turmeric and ginger for two minutes.  Add the coconut milk, fish sauce (or soy sauce), and sugar and stir well.  Add the vegetables and cook, covered for 5 to 10 minutes.  When the vegetables are almost done, add cooked potatoes, remove the lid and let the sauce cook down to your desired thickness.  Serve over rice.

Curry over rice
Depending on the amount of rice you use per serving, this makes at least 4 BIG portions, if not more.  It tastes really great the next day after the flavors have melded longer in the fridge.  Let me know what you think in the comments section.






3 comments: