Monday, May 26, 2014

Sweet Potato Coconut Soup Recipe

 the soup drizzled with sesame oil and paired with fresh baguette

This is one of my family's favorite soups. It's fairly easy and is vegan...yay! and yay! I created hacked this soup recipe after eating at a local Thai restaurant and tasting their delicious take on Sweet Potato Soup. This one obviously yields way more for way less.

Ingredients:                                                 
  • 2 large sweet potatoes (mine were about 2lbs. each)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 inch piece of fresh grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. red curry paste
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1/2 tbsp. vegetable base (or 2 cups low-sodium broth of your choosing)
  • sesame oil
Serve with: Fresh baguette

Steps:

Steam or bake your sweet potatoes until tender all the way through. (I baked mine in foil for 2 hours). Set aside.

Next, in a large pot sauté onion until soft. Add ginger. Sauté for 2 min. ( I forgot to saute the ginger with the onion, so I added it with the curry paste)

Add curry paste. Melt down and combine with onion and ginger. 

Add coconut milk and vegetable base. Simmer for 5 min. 

Add sweet potato. I simply spooned the insides out with a large spoon. 

How beautiful is that bright orange!
I then poured this mixture into my Ninja and took it for a ride (I blended it until smooth). I typically use my emersion blender, but it's currently packed away on its way to Guam. You can read about that here.  


Then pour the mixture back into the pot and heat for about 10 more min. This helps all the flavors to combine.






Now, serve with a drizzle of sesame oil and a piece of fresh baguette. Yummo!

                               -Anjelica

No comments:

Post a Comment